Sunday, December 20, 2009

bye bye betty





Betty Crocker has left the building! Baking is done, finished, finito.  I had no room on my kitchen table so I had to put my pastries in the dining room until they are devoured.  Thanks, Lady Di, for the wreath recipe - they are already half gone.  What a mess to make - a perfect treat for kids, though.  The funny thing is I don't have a sweet tooth so these treats will be passed on to those who do.  I am so grateful for my ipod as it provided such sweet tunes while I conquered this endeavor.  Andrea Bocelli dominated the shuffle.  On the up side I am not out and about shopping on this horendous weekend like many of you are (thinking of you, Carrie.) Now it's time for a nap, my new pasttime (when my body lets me.)  Here is the recipe for the wreaths in case anyone wants to feel like a child again.

Kellogg's Rice Krispies Wreaths
(I call them pointsettas)

3 Tbsp. margarine or butter
(I'm a fan of butter, but that's me)
1 (10 oz. pkg) marshmallows
2 tsp. green food coloring
6 cups rice krispies cereal
(on sale at Jewel)
red sprinkles

In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.  Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.  Remove from heat.  Stir in food coloring.  Add rice krispies cereal a little at a time and stir until well coated.  Warning - do it quickly - and remove your jewelry.  Coat your hands with oil and grab a handful of mix, form into wreath-like balls and place on wax paper.  Sprinkle red sugar in middle.  Indulge. xo