Sunday, August 22, 2010

to accomplishments!

Today I was thrilled to be able to stay home and prepare a feast for the family.  We decided to celebrate all the accomplishments we made this month and the whole brood will be here this afternoon to join us.  I scored on some gorgeous porterhouse steaks at a great price so they are marinating while I prepared the rest of my love food. 
Wayne keeps saying that's a lot of beef, woman,  but we are celebrating today. I hope he's not referring to me - SCREAM!  Besides, whatever they don't eat today could be leftovers.  The dogs will be very happy with all the bones. Avocados were on sale so I decided to make guacamole and this time added orange juice just like Jamie.  One day this week I will share my recipe for super-sandwiches using avocados.  I finally bought my sprouts (not all stores carry them) and came home to find all the whole wheat bread is gone, so I'll share this recipe another time. 
My salad includes a variety of greens from the garden, spinach, bok choy, celery, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, artichokes and carrots.  Someone finished off the salad supreme so we can't embellish with this delightful spice today.  I have about eight salad dressings that I discovered so they can pick and choose their favorites.  I prefer olive oil and balsamic vinegrette, but found my champagne dressing was in stock so I'll indulge in that one.
I tend to plan my menu based on items that are on sale and this weekend they had broccoli and cauliflower - cook until tender, drain, then add a stick of butter and season with salt.  Easy, peasy.
I want to keep things simple so no mashed potatoes, just baked.  They can top them off with butter or ranch dressing if they choose.
This is the spread so far.  I went in the garden to clip some flowers for my tables.  That's the best part of the season - bringing the beauty indoors as well as adoring their beauty outside (hard to stay there very long with those darn mosquitos.)
I prepared an old favorite dessert my mom used to make.  It has to be the simplest treat in the world.  I bought four rolls of Pillsbury biscuits and after opening the containers, take each biscuit and make a hole in the middle with your thumb (after awhile I did this with one hand) and quickly fry in a skillet of oil.  I repeat quickly for they cook very fast and you don't want to burn them, especially when working with so many.  Turn them over and scoop out onto a big bowl of sugar, coating each side to your liking.  I made 20 this way and 20 with a sugar/cinnamon coating.  They are very light and hit the spot after a heavy meal (unless Wayne eats them all before dinner.) Another thing you can do is add cinnamon to your sugar bowl for coffee.  I do this for Thanksgiving and keep it ready for whenever Mike visits, as he is the only one who takes sugar in his coffee.  Just a little sweet something.

Life is like a trumpet.  If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out.

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Aristotle

To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?  Katherine Graham




  If you put your mind to anything, accomplishments are always possible.  Happy days to you. xo