Friday, August 20, 2010

shoveling coal

shoveling coal

As I frequent the nearly a century-old home in Brighton Park, I often feel the energies of those who lived in this dwelling.  When I work in the hallway or the basement, I feel a strong presence of people who put a lot of effort in maintaining this home yet it is not a hard, laborous feeling, but rather one of a labor of love.  I've been told the Grandpa would take a ventilated garbage can grill and smoke the homemade sausages already stuffed in the kitchen and then they would hang them in the front hallway on strings.  I browse through the tool shed and find unique contraptions and do-dads used for various chores around the house - masculine types - and wonder what did they do with this one?  This was a true man cave. Wayne refers to the other basement room as the coal shed and when I inquired about this he explained that prior to 1973 the home was heated with a coal burner.  A truck would dump a roomful of coal to the house and the boys would painstakingly use a wheel barrel to bring it through the basement window where Uncle Steve had the task of shoveling it in piles in the coal shed room, which was always filled to the hilt.  They added the coal throughout the seasons to keep the home warm.  I was mesmerized by this story and all the work that went into it, yet, that must be what I was feeling.  I can just imagine the assembly line.
forest green color

The basement was so spotless you could eat on the floor and I found out they often ate in this room because it was much cooler down there.  We picked Uncle Steve's brain about how things were done in the old days and he was very informative.  They all loved that home and I feel those strong vibes even today as I hang around it. When Wayne was a few years old, he remembers his Grandpa had pulleys and cranes in the front of the home to lift it back into shape when it began to cave in.  He filled the underneath with stones and cement and it is still in perfect condition.  Can you imagine that?  What a production it must have been.  It gives me greater appreciation of the efforts made in the past and when I painted the front stairs an inviting forest green, I noticed it had been that same color green a few coats ago.
magnolia for front door

clouds for basement

Today Mercury turns retrograde, which means the universe will give us pause for reflections on people, places and things of our past.  I usually notice the effects a week early and that must be what I was feeling all week.  My new learning projects include installing a broken window pane with wood putty after scraping out the broken glass and applying Artscape window appliques.  The latter is not exactly a new endeavor, for I did this to a couple bedroom windows; however, this time I have a dozen individual panes to decorate. 
peace and tranquility

I have been giving massage more often lately and still enjoy it.  This has been a bustling summer, filled with vacations, visits and various projects.  I can feel the shift in the season, especially when I organize the schedules, pay tuition and order books for the boys.  This is my cue to get ready for change.  My garden is still growing so there is still time to enjoy its beauty and the weather is still hot. I know how quickly time can pass and will pay attention to the days a little more closely as I realize another season is just around the corner.   We must make an effort to sit still a little more often now that the hustle and bustle is waning. 

If I love with my spirit, I don't have to think so hard with my head.

Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repetition and emotion will one day become a reality.

Don't say "but."  That little word is the difference between success and failure.  Henry Ford said "I'm going to invent the automobile," and Arthur T. Flanken said, "But..."

Warm wishes for a happy weekend. xo