Friday, August 26, 2011

happy feet

We all need our feet to be happy so we can run around as we choose.  I am always running around and like it, but my right foot has a sick toe, technically called hammer toe, a deformity in which the end of the toe is bent downward.  Symptoms include callus forming on sole of foot, claw-like deformity of the toe, corn forms on top of the toe and foot pain in the joint where the toe joins the foot. 
This is kind of how my second toe looks these days.  I have endured it for four years and when initially diagnosed by my podiatrist, Kevin Salvino in Hinsdale, he ordered x-rays and supplied me with custom made orthopedic inserts to keep the foot in balance.  Wearing high heels as a secretary then going barefoot while giving massage all these years caused my issue.  Wearing flip flops sealed my current fate.  To prevent hammer toe, wear the right size shoes with wide toe boxes for comfort, protect the protruding joint with corn pads and corrective footwear.  Keep your tootsies healthy!  If not, you will be facing my fate.
Yesterday was quite an ordeal.  It was time to fix my footsie before it gets more complicated and as I suspected, I will need a tendotomy, which is a cutting of the tendon called tendon release or lengthening.  In order to do this, however, I had to get x-rays, an EKG, deliver the discs of same, and get a referral from my primary doctor, Gerald Simon.  I love this guy.  He sympathetically counselled us through so many incidents when we cared for my mother-in-law (as he was her doctor also.)  When my brother needed immediate care, he opened his door to us.  He always makes the effort to really explain and spend time with his patients and it never feels like an assembly line.  He is down to earth and compassionate.  Now he is my key to any medical procedures for I found out whenever we need anything checked out, we need his approval and referral first.  He is the man.  Luckily, I was able to meet with him that afternoon to get his okay to proceed with my procedure.  I am on a time crunch as I need to be healed in a month to begin spending my days with Dillan and must be recovered and in tip top shape.  Monday is the pre-op and Friday the surgery.  All the pretests had to be cleared right away so I mad-dashed over to Hinsale Hospital,  took x-rays and EKG and all were complete within 30 minutes tops.  Everything went smoothly.  This was my cue from the universe that I am on the right road.  Well, kind of, sort of.
  As Dr. Simon gave me a physical and reviewed the test results, he quizzed me on my healthy visits with other doctors.  Being truthful, I told him I spent many years taking other family members to and from hospitals and doctor visits, I saw no reason to go myself as I am healthy and in good shape (except for my sick toe.)  Then I got the look.  I knew what he would say and I was right.  He had that let's make a deal gleam in his eye.  I had to agree to focus on my preventive health maintenance and he would give me the coveted approval for my toe healing.  Now I must make appointments (and keep them) for my OBGYN, mammogram, bone density and have a colonoscopy.  Damn!  He tried to get me to check my cholesterol and thank God I gave a blood sample for that last year so he has the results already.  I tried to tell him I don't take any meds except for occasional Bayer aspirin and keep active physically, to no avail.  He had me right where he wanted me.  That's okay, for now I will make time for me to officially get a clean bill of health.  It's funny, I just read an article that studies show women who become grandmothers statistically ignore the preventive maintenance checkups.  I guess I will not be part of that group anymore.  I vow to have all the results by the time I turn double nickel, plus I came home with all his referrals to get them done so I am committed.   All appointments have been made and I will see them through.  One thing I did clear up with him was how menopause works.  After sharing my symptoms the past 8 years, I thought I was done yet after explaining things to him, I have just begun!  Hormones...

The moral of the story is preserve our health, prevent complications and listen to your doctor(s.)  If you are blessed to have one that will be honest and look you in the eye and be straight with you, you won the prize.  I still don't believe in tons of office visits, but once in a while we need to make sure our vessels are in good health and functioning properly.  Positive attitude does make a difference.  Doctor Oz would be proud. xo

doctor, doctor, give me the news...
I got a bad case of loving you...
no pill is gonna cure my ill...
I got a bad case of loving you!