Wednesday, April 21, 2010

today's menu


Today I spent time baking and cooking.  I found a great recipe for Lemon Cranberry Buttermilk Biscuits that I thought to share.  They are light and delicious and I hope you like them.  Recipe follows:

Biscuits
3 cups flour
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 cup dried cranberries

Lemon Glaze
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Use middle oven rack.  Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut the butter into the sifted flour mixture.  Add buttermilk and vanilla and blend until it forms wet dough.  Add the dried cranberries.  Cut the dough into equal-sized portions and drop onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake until golden brown, about 15-18 minutes.  While the biscuits are baking, make the lemon glaze by mixing the sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl.  Wait a minute and drizzle with a small amount of lemon glaze.  Serve immediately.
My boys must have their meatloaf once a week.  Mix 3 lbs. ground round with 2 eggs, bread crumbs, Jack Daniel's steak sauce, salt and pepper.  Mix together and bake at 350 for 2 hours.  Today he turned out heartshaped.  Filled with love.
Corn.
Aunt Diane's red potatoes with ham, onion, and I added cheese.  See her blog for the recipe.  Yummy.
I just had to make Susan's cracker snack.  It is still baking, but promises to be delightful.  I deviated by adding Salad Supreme spices as well.

I took a break from gardening to prepare the above-mentioned foods.  My sacral area needs a rest.  Age surely takes a toll, but will not stop me.  Now I can watch last night's episode of Lost.  Only a handful of shows left forever.  It finally gets good at the end.  Go figure...

Be happy. xo