Thursday, March 11, 2010

never forsaken


Family is a haven in a heartless world... Christopher Lasch

Criminal Minds is my favorite thought- provoking series where I can be privy to what is happening in the great big world.  The behavior analysts witness all the bad and acknowledge the good.  They expose the criminals and determine why they do what they do.  I am tucked in my own little corner of that big, bad world nestled in the goodness, always grateful not to be part of the ugly.  I take it for granted.  I don't worry about gunshots or drug dealers on my corners. My neighborhood just experienced a grisly murder scene, extremely uncommon for Darien; a nice place to live.  We are a small,  quiet community bordering bigger, well-known neighborhoods such as Downers Grove, Naperville and Hinsdale.  We chose this obscure area for this simple reason - to reside in a relatively unknown area surrounded by nature and easy living.   You can't hide from crime and you can't escape evil, but I will never live my life in fear.  This doesn't keep us immune from bad behavior of others.  We experienced traumatic situations with people who have harmed our sons, not once, not twice but thrice.  We handled same through the judicial system and made things right.  It was very unfortunate, but nevertheless, a lesson learned, and the perpetrators were punished.  We have learned not to let people get away with hurtful actions for they only continue with others.  Someone has to step up to the plate and demand responsibility.  Everyone is a potential victim, but we must live life holding hope for the goodness in people, not fearful of their wrath.   I try to look for the highlights in life and when I encounter the lowest ebbs, I hold faith that I will swim through the tides, and not sink.  I believe in love and hope for the future and have faith in our strength.  God has never forsaken us yet. 
I just chuckle when I listen to the dire straits of people who let little issues consume them and wonder how they would handle extreme measures.  Hopefully, they won't ever have to cross that bridge, for surely they would experience breakdown.  Perhaps the rain is bringing these melancholy feelings to the surface and I feel the need to share.  Purging is healing.  Details unnecessary.  Thy will be done. xo